BSCS science requirements, SJSU, effective Fall 2014
last updated August 20, 2014
Effective Fall 2014, PHYS 50 and PHYS 51 are no longer required for the
BSCS, although each of them may still count. The Fall 2014 requirements
do include 16 units of CS electives, but CS 49J or 49C count toward the 16
units. Students who entered the CS major before Fall 2014 and remain
continuously enrolled in the major may still use the Fall 2013
requirements, or any other set of requirements that they were entitled to
use before Fall 2014.
In the Fall 2014 requirements, it is still required that each CS major
take 14 units of science courses, including
SJSU courses that count toward the 5 units include BIOL 1A, CHEM 1A, CHEM
30A, GEOL 1, GEOL 7, METR 10, PHYS 50, and PHYS 51. The special course
BIOL 23 will also count. Courses taken elsewhere that are equivalent to these
courses will count. Other courses may count; check with the undergraduate
- GE courses covering Areas B1/B3, B2, and R
- 5 units of course work in science that counts toward a science or engineering degree
No course may double count toward the 14 unit requirement,
even if it appears on the list above and is also used as a GE course.
GE requirements satisfied by listed courses need to be made up with approved science elective courses.
Here are some typical scenarios, based on courses from this list that a student might have taken or be planning to take:
Approved electives include
PHYS 50 and 51 (8 units)
- All 8 units count toward the 5-unit requirement and the 14-unit requirement. PHYS 50 will satisfy Areas B1 and B3
- 6 units of GE science remain (Areas B2 and R)
- the new science requirement will be satisfied upon completion of these 6 units (just like before Fall 2014)
CHEM 1A, BIOL 1A or a 5-unit PHYS 50 equivalent (5 units)
CHEM 30A, GEOL 1, GEOL 7, or PHYS 50 without PHYS 51 (4 units)
note that you may use PHYS 51, any course from Scenario 3 that you haven't taken, or any course from Scenario 2 to satisfy both the 1-unit and the 3-unit deficit
METR 10 (3 units)
note that you may use any course from Scenario 2 to satisfy both the 2-unit and the 3-unit deficit
and perhaps others. No workshop courses (courses whose course number has a W suffix) may count.
- any course from GE Areas B1, B2, B3, or R not already counted toward the 14-unit requirement.
- GEOL 3, 4L, and 108
- BIOL 65, BIOL 66, PHYS 2A, and PHYS 2B
Excess units from courses used to satisfy the 5-unit requirement may count.