Title: A Model-Controller Interface for Struts-Based Web Applications
Name : Deepti Bhardwaj
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Advisor: Dr. Chris Pollett
Struts provides a framework for servlet and JSP applications that uses Model-View-Controller (MVC) architecture where Model is business logic/business processes such as Java Beans, View is dialogs such as JavaServer Pages and Controller is central control unit such as Java Servlets .
There are many Integrated Development Environment (IDE) available in the market for example JDeveloper and Eclipse which provide the environment to develop Struts applications. However, these IDEs are desktop-based applications. In the proposed project, I will be developing a web-based application which will act as an IDE for interfacing and integrating the model and controller of a MVC architecture based applications. The proposed IDE will maximize the programmer productivity and will be available across the network. A web-based IDE will eliminate the inconvenience of installing or configuring the desktop-based IDEs. Developers will be able to map the user requests to an appropriate action which implements the model in the controller by just doing some clicks and drag-drop functionality provided by the web-based IDE.
The full project will be done when CS298 is completed. The following will be done by the end of CS297:
Deliverable 1 : Build a demo Struts application project.
Deliverable 2 : Study the design architecture of the web-based IDE "Aurorasdk" .
Deliverable 3 : Develop a user interface to create Model components.
Deliverable 4 : Develop a user interface to provide tools for linking Model and Controller files.
Deliverable 5 : Report of semester's work. The report will have details of the prototype model being developed and functionalities the IDE will support.
1. [Dionysios G. Synodinos] Web-based IDEs to become mainstream. Retrieved from - http://www.infoq.com/news/2009/02/web-based-ide
2. [Heroku] Heroku Documentation. Retrieved from - http://docs.heroku.com/
3. [Jingwen Ou] Aurorasdk. Retrieved from - http://code.google.com/p/aurorasdk/
4. [Jacob T. Biehl] FASTDash: A Visual Dashboard for Fostering Awareness in Software Teams. Retrieved from - http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/64290/chi2007-fastdash.pdf
5. Struts. Retrieved from - http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/j-struts/